Re: Cultural biases in understanding Vygotsky

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 03:07:36 PST

Thanks for the link to your paper, Eugene, and for your
thought-provoking reply. As I said in my post, I kind of skimmed
Vladimir's paper and then sat back and got thinking. Earlier this week
I presented at a conference on English as another language development,
mainly from a genre/Bakhtinian/Hallidayan perspective, but I brushed
the zpd and "scaffolding". At the end of the presentation I fielded all
kinds of questions from teachers (mainly from SE Asian teaching
contexts) who wanted more on the zpd as a means for assessment (and
testing). I'm not about to make general statements about SE Asian
lenses, but this will be a particularly interesting time for us as
Vygotsky's work becomes better known in newer areas, at more
operational levels...cross-cultural and cross-historical Vygotskiology
is a rather nice term for that! As well as the volume I mentioned
containing works by more Russian scholars, I was delighted to see a
paper on second language development by one of the key (for me)
proponents of moving on from the acquisition metaphor to a
transformation-in-participation metaphor (Jim Lantolf).

Your paper will be read on a plane trip to Sydney in a couple of days,
meanwhile, I hope we can hear from others.....

Phil