Re: Jobs and motivation: Help is needed

From: N*** (vygotsky@nateweb.info)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 04:56:41 PST

Andy,

That was partly what I was getting at. Coping
strategies like the friendly cashier, toll booth
operater etc can appear to an outsider as enjoyment or
to use your word happy. Those "coping strategies" may
even become virtues so to speak such as "work ethic",
or doing ones best.

Yet, to even take your assertion that most poor
workers are not "happy" in their jobs, what does that
mean? What does it mean to be happy in ones job?

The lottery question has, of course, as its
assumption, money. That if ones motivation is money,
and ones job is oppressive, then they would take the
money and run. If there are other factors to ones
motivation, then this would not hold true. This, of
course has nothing to do with enjoyment or happiness
per se.

One may very well stay in an oppressive situation
because of habit, it houses ones social network etc.
This would be particularily true for those who have
worked at a particular company for generations.

Yet, I have to admit, I am still wondering what
"happy" in ones job looks like.

=====