New Journal, Critical Discourse Studies

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 17:35:21 PST

Dear Friends,

I wanted you to know about plans to launch this coming year a new journal
to be published by Routledge. It's called Critical Discourse Studies, and
it will welcome contributions from a wide range of theoretical
perspectives, so long as they address issues of contemporary culture
(including historical antecedents) and society in terms of the role of
discursive tools and symbols (text, discourse, media, images, etc.) and do
so in ways that are reflexive and/or demystifying about the role of
social-structural relationships, interests, etc. I am a co-editor, along
with Norman Fairclough, Ruth Wodak, and Phil Graham.

This is my personal shorthand version. There is also an official longer
one, which I can post if people are interested. Or see:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/17405904.asp

Meanwhile, I've also been asked to forward an announcement about our debate
and discussion section from the section editor, Carmen Caldas-Coulthard. We
hope this will be a lively feature (see below).

Apologies if you've already had this information from elsewhere.

JAY.

Critical Discourse Studies is an interdisciplinary and international
journal for the social sciences published by Routledge. The first issue is
due in June, 2004. The journal's primary aim is to publish critical
research that advances our understanding of how discourse figures in social
processes, social structures, and social change. (see
http://www.cds-web.net for further details).

         The editors are Ruth Wodak, Norman Fairclough, Jay Lemke and Phil
Graham.

         Ryan Conlon is in charge of the book reviews section and I am the
Debate and Correspondence editor.

         I invite short contributions (up to 1.500 words) for this section
of the journal.
         We are interested in opening discussion and debate on such topics as:

                 * the different interpretations of what "critical"
means in relation to Critical Discourse Studies;
                 * the appropriate way to integrate scholarly
research with critical political commitment;
                 * the question of whether discourse analysis is
viable without detailed textual analysis;
                 * views on methodological issues;
                 * views on CDS and
interdisciplinarity/ transdisciplinarity/ postdisciplinarity; the war;
teaching practices; applications to social life - the press, language
policies, education, etc; representation, identity formation, gender,
visual culture and multimodality.
         We are interested in having both responses to some of the issues
posted in this section and discussions of papers published in the journal
or elsewhere.
         A sequence of collaborative two-party email interactions on
central issues is one of the suggested formats that we want to encourage.
         There will also be space for reports on international research
projects, new academic courses and Ph. D. Theses that are overtly concerned
with critical issues.

         Please send your thoughts, ideas and reports to
         CDS Debate and Correspondence Editor
         Carmen Rosa Caldas-Coulthard, University of Birmingham
         c.r.caldas-coulthard@bham.ac.uk
         or
         debates@cds-web.net

Jay Lemke