RE: Jobs and motivation: Help is needed

From: White, Phillip (Phillip.White@cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 08:56:39 PST

good monday morning, xmca-ers -

     Eugene wrote:

I may sound as a conservative reactionary justifying misery of working class
people and preventing them from entering middle-class paradise of real
choices. But I'm not sure that it is a paradise and I'm aware of many
miseries of working class lives as I'm aware of something good that working
class has what is missing in middle class. I wonder if there is a "third
way".

What do you think?

            well, as it stands thus far, Eugene, i did like your story about your Belarus grandmother, because it suggested that one's stance towards life is much more complicated than a simple yes, no, like, don't like, approach. reflecting back on my parents' lives, certainly a range of cultural capital/resources provided for the richness is their problem-solving approaches to life's vicissitudes.... as it seems was the case for your grandmother - and certainly working class families can be extremely rich in such resources - even is those resources are not particularly noted by the middle and upper classes. but, i'm atttempting to get to your "third way" question, and would like to suggest that a possibility for some of the misery found in all peoples' lives is not how they have found themselves within the social realities that they face, but rather the multiplicity of cultural capital they have to deal with the miseries of life that are there for everyone. so that a third way might be found in ..... what? ...... social/cultural tools within the emotional/perspective positionalities of life - rather like when we describe particular people as being 'resilient."

wat'cha think?

phillip

phillip white
school of education