RE: Jobs and motivation: Help is needed

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 03:52:10 PST

Geoff kindly sent me Taylor's report on 2000 survey in UK about quality of
jobs (of 2466 diverse employees participated in the survey). On the question
of "Why to work?" only 16% of higher professionals and 2% of semi-skilled
workers (the other in-between) referred to "enjoyment". Other responses were
"for money", "career", "being with others" and so on. However, when asked "A
job is just means for a living?" only 21% of higher professionals and 54% of
semi-skilled workers said "yes". The picture is complex but "enjoyment" of
jobs does not seem very high.

What do you think?

Eugene
PS Thanks Geoff for the report!
PSS I wish similar survey existed in US! Does anybody know about such study?

South