Reply Problem(s)

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 11:34:03 PST

>From: "Eugene Matusov" <ematusov@udel.edu>
>To: <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>Subject: RE: Multidisciplinary perspectives
>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:55:37 -0500
>
>Dear XCMA-ers
>
>I'm reposting Andy's very important message clearly intended to
>all xmca audience and not only to me. I want to remind everybody
>that for some unknown to me reason when you reply to my messages
>you have to use Reply All button to send message to all xmca
>otherwise you message would go only to me. Sorry for that inconvenience
>but I consulted with computer gurus and they do not know why my
>messages interact differently with the xmca system.

The reason that responses to Eugene (and probably other people's)
message(s) are only sent to the originators is that (as you can
see above) Eugene's email client or server is setting the "Reply-To:"
line to his address.

If you look at the headers for most of the traffic on xmca, the
Reply-To line is set to Reply-To: <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>

The machine only does as it is instructed. Without being in front
of Eugene's computer, I can't tell for certain where the problem
lies. I do know that many email clients (Eudora, Outlook, etc.)
have a setting for the "Reply-To" line. If I were experiencing
these difficulties, I'd start by looking at the Preferences or
Properties or Options for that setting.

bj

-