Re: timescale question

From: Steve Gabosch (bebop101@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 23:21:05 PST

Hi Victor,

Thank you so very much for your excellent annotated compilation of posts
and explanations from the Hegel discussion. I learned quite a lot from the
whole exchange, and this was a perfect way to put it all together. Among
other things this discussion nudged me to take a look again at Andy's
awesome work on Hegel - which includes a long list of links to relevant
files along with his own extensive studies, at
http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/index.htm.

I couldn't quite absorb your post in e-mail format (although the colors
helped a great deal) so I put it in Word and provided some headlines which
I include below - they serve as a quick summary of the topics
covered. Below that I have attached the Word file I made of your post.

Best,
- Steve

Topics:

***** Hegel is difficult to read and discuss.
***** Issue 1: Hegel as "social psychologist"
***** Have been working with computational social system models.
***** Hegel's take on logic and social relations.
***** Two arguments against the difficulty of certain Idealistic models.
***** We can only explain social development through interactions of
individuals.
***** Issue 2: Hegel's logic as providing the link between micro and macro
levels of social analysis
***** Hegel built a theory that knowledge is the prime mover of history,
and is itself an expression of human social relations. Marx interpreted
these notions of Hegel in material terms.
***** Raya Dunyevskaya had some interesting ideas bout Hegel and Marx.
***** The Marxist term "permanent revolution" (a broader philosophical
concept than its more recent meaning in the disputes between Stalinists and
Trotskyists in the 1920's and 1930's) refers to the grand synthesis of
practice and theory.
***** Collective conscious thought does not exist. Conscious thought only
exists on the individual level.
***** The Hegelian term Subjective Notion refers to the operation of
conscious thought manifested as practical action, as objects. This notion
or theory is the "microtheory" of both the Hegelian and Marxist systems.
***** The assertion, negation and "sublation" of logical statements
(syllogisms) is the way the concrete is appropriated by thought, where the
abstract rises to the concrete.
***** Marx quote on rising from the abstract to the concrete.
***** Vygotsky's work is an important contribution to the general theory of
society. It focuses on the "interface" between the microsystem (the
processes whereby social life are conceptualized) and the macrosystem (the
world of social practice).
***** General Discussion 28/10 to 30/10
***** The dialectical paradigm of Hegel's system.
***** Importance of sublation in logic.