RE: Multidisciplinary perspectives

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 21:46:40 PST

Congratulation, Peter, with getting the Janet Emig Award! I like your speech
a lot!

A few months ago I was sitting on a very interesting doctoral dissertation
defense of Bonnie Anderson (now Ph.D.!) discussing the relationship between
5-paragraph formulistic writing and scores on Delaware high-stake writing
tests. The findings were that (if I remember correctly): 1) essays earning
high scores on the Delaware high-stake writing tests were more likely
written in non-formulistic ways (which seems to mean that writing using
5-paragraph essay way reduce chances to be scored highly). 2) There is not
evidence that using 5-paragraph formulistic writing increases students'
chances to pass the tests. 3) Not using 5-paragraph formulistic writing does
not increase the students' chances to fail the test.

Eugene

  _____