RE: Are kids naturally good with computers?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 15:44:46 PST

Dear Philip and everybody-

Community
> Center. I was more than an observer but it does not much matter...
>
> Eugene - i liked your examples - they do well in pointing out the
important of how
> instructional methods are embedded in relationships -
>
> my question is, how can one look at the teacher without pathologizing
him? just as the
> tutor was able to do with the Latino...
>
> it was interesting to me that even though you observed the teacher in
trouble, what then?
> you too like the kids see to be angry with him ...

It is very easy to answer to your question in this given Case1. I can't
avoid pathologizing this guy :-( I'd like to throw at him something bigger
than the apple for all abuse that he made to the LACC kids. But I can find
ways to understand him within bigger institutional and economy contexts. He
allowed himself to be a weapon of oppression.

Fortunately, he left quickly LACC and I, being Dr. Evil :-) , facilitated
this process...

However, I'm sure that Philip asked in general and not in specific. If I
wanted to work with a teacher (in what role?) and the teacher wanted to work
with me (why?), I would focus on common problems (but not on common
visions).

> you asked, as you always do:
>
> What do you think?
>
> well, in this case, i think we've failed to see the multiple binds
that the teacher is placed
> in as well - isolated, little meaningful feedback from a source he would
see as accepting
> and supportive - caught up in a historical wave just as is everyone else
in the classroom -
> the complexity is enormous here.
>
> i'd say that the teacher is in need of just as much support as the
students - and that the
> cultural norm is to blame the teacher and describe deficits.
>
> what do you think?

I agree!... in general... :-) Although many things depends on specific
contexts. As Freire pointed, there are limits for dialogue and
collaboration. That is why revolutions happen...

What do you think?

Eugene