RE: Are kids naturally good with computers?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 17:37:41 PST

Dear David and everybody-

Thanks for useful reference about Digital Divide (I'll use the link in my
future classes). Although the report shows that school "eliminate" the
digital divide, my conversation with Latino children at Latin American
Community Center (LACC) shows that HOW schools use computers is different
for different populations. LACC kids told me that many of them have very
little access to computers in their schools but when they have access it is
very low quality access described nicely in Mike's old but unfortunately
still relevant article:

Cole, M. & LCHC (1989). Kids and computers: A positive vision of the future.
Harvard Educational Review, 59, 73-86.

In many schools with low income kids, computers often replace worksheets (or
workshits?? - pardon my French :-)/dittos to do drills or other
decontextualized activities using a "bottom-up" approach described in Mike's
paper. Meanwhile in many schools with middle and upper income kids,
computers are often used to promote creativity and higher level skills...

What do you think?

Eugene

http://www.civilrights.org/publications/reports/nation_online/bringing_a_nat
ion.doc . I think that they are very appropriate to what you are taking
> about.
>
> I brief, data released by the US Department of Commerce portray the shape
> taken by this divide in 2001. When computer use at home is considered, the
> digital divide remain significant: whereas 33.1% of children (ages 10-17)
in
> the lowest income category were using computers at home, 91.7% of children
> where doing so at the highest income level. However, the gap narrows
> significantly from home to school: whereas 80% of children (ages 10-17) in
> the lowest income category were using computers at school, 88.7% of
children
> where doing so at the highest income level. There are as well related
> differences between ethnic groups: whereas over 70% of the students
> identified as White, Asian American and Pacific islanders have access to
> computers both at school and at home, less than 40 % of African American
and
> Hispanics do so. Therefore, students from different income levels and
ethnic
> groups do not have the same level of engagement with technology, despite
the
> fact that computers are playing an increasing role in their education: as
> reported in 2001, 90% of all school-aged children use computers and 58.5%
> use the Internet to complete school assignments.
>
> I wander how this situation impacts on what you are just discussing: the
> technology related tacit knowledge students bring to the school. And we
> still have to note that we are not even taking into consideration
> differences in the quality of the equipment at school, how new it is, and
so
> on. And that, of course, we are talking about the USA only...
>
> I guess that the shape this divide would take in the future will not be
> related with just accessibility but also with how new these equipments
are.
> Technology is changing so fast that is going to be very difficult for the
> poorest schools [countries] to keep the pace of change. Maybe research on
> this topic will need to change its indicators for more sensitive ones.
More