Re: Are kids naturally good with computers?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 14:19:01 PST

Hi Phillip and everybody-

Your example is very good - I observed this difficulty as well. Kids
entering the world of computers have to learn a lot of tacit things such as
correspondence between their actions with keyboard, mouse and the screen.
Games involve also a lot of tacit knowledge that the kids have to learn. For
example, I saw a little kid that could not grasp that when the screens
change the character remains the same. He thought that the game starts all
over again.

I think that it is not true that the kids "naturally good" with computers
but rather outside schools, kids' diverse cultures often organize
"communities of practice" around computer games and other Internet-based
computer activities like chat rooms with relative ease creating
developmental pathways of learning and "intergenerational" networks of
players. Of course, computer companies designing games make all their
efforts to break into children market but still their success is remarkable
with regard diversity of children's cultures. This is an interesting
phenomenon.

What do you think?

Eugene