Re: timescale question

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 11:26:39 PST

Yes it is difficult Mike. When Lenin read The Logic, he just skipped over
this entire section of 100 pages or so. I didn't understand it all for many
years, and there is very little by way of interpretative writing by others
available.

Example of a syllogism.
All people use language.
Henry is a person
Therefore Henry uses language.

Schematically: U=P, I=P, I=U.

This deduction is true, but a little concrete consideration shows that it
is not necessarily true. Henry may turn out to be a deaf mute. Do we
conclude that he is not human? If the syllogism is interpreted as a Venn
diagram, then it is just an Abstract syllogism, which "misses the notion".
Every combination of "person", "language user" and individuals turns out to
be fallible. To understand the relation between language-use and the human
condition requires concrete investigation.

6:25am. must go ...
Andy