Donald W Winnicott

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 01:30:59 PDT

Thank you all for the advice about Mead and Dewey. It has been very
helpful. Could I press my luck and ask if anyone has any critical opinions
about Donald W Winnicott.

Winnicott was an English psychoanalyst, writing mainly in the 1950s and
60s, who turned to the treatment of children. He utilised "object relations
theory" to develop theories about the role of the mother in the development
of basic self-confidence in approaching a relationship to the outer world
as the mother proves to be an independent person outside of the child's
control. This theory is reminiscent in some ways to Vygotsky's thinking,
but not at all cultural-historical I would say.

Any thoughts?

Andy