Re: xmca

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 14:18:13 PDT

You are certainly correct, Peter, that selective reading/quotation is
both inadvertent and deliberate. In the case in point, consider that
Damon's prior book was published by Free Press and the book you
site by hoover institute.

And who can keep, all, of say, Dewey's ideas in mind all the time? Selection
in inevitble. When thinking about the discussion of Dewey and Marx I could
not help thinking that along some dimensions, or in some ways, they are
very similar and attribute this in part to common origins in Hegel. But when
the idea of political econony is brought into the discussion, my mind goes
to Dewey's * The public and its problems" which sure doesn't seem the
least bit marxist to me, but rather liberal utopianism.
mike