Re: Mead and Vygotsky from a teacher

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 00:35:44 PDT

Further pursuing contrasts between whole schools of thought may just lead
me further into the mire. So can I return to the reasons for my enquiry.
My specific target is Axel Honneth's use of G H Mead's conception of the
formation of identity as set out in Mead's "The Social Self":
http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/mead3.htm
In this article, Mead contrasts "I" - the subject of action, to the "me",
which the subject gets to know by the sum of responses to the I's actions
by those around her. And this "me" is known sensuously in much the same way
as any other person. Mead, I think, develops this theme in a somewhat
pragmatic-behaviourist or even individualist way (speaking very loosely),
with little recourse to ideas of social mediation.
Honneth's book is "The Struggle for Recognition". I think Honneth is a very
important figure, but I think he is open to critique by his use of Mead.
His objective is to find social-psychological backing for a critique of the
Kojevean notion of Recognition, as an alternative to Habermas's use of
Piaget. My reading of Kojeve and Hegel is that Kojeve reduces Hegel to
intersubjectivity, whereas the young Hegel developed his original notion of
Recognition by means of further developing his conception of mediation.
Honneth thinks that Hegel lost his way when he abandoned the
intersubjective notion of recognition in favour of ideas of mediation in
the forms of abstract right, culture and history. Honneth thinks that the
earlier writings give an appropriately strong role to the individual in
making culture. Doubtless Hegel did lose something when he took this turn,
but he also gained very much.
The reason for my initial question is that I wanted to know how Vygotsky
would deal with this notion of recognition and identity and how this would
differ from Mead's I and Me. After all, Vygotsky does provide a lot more
"empirical backing" than I think Mead could. I think that mediation is more
than instrumental. "Using" something (such as a word) still takes for
granted the subject who uses. Mead does conjecture about how learning about
the "me" enables a person to learn how to control their internal functions,
in a way which is very reminiscent of Vygotsky.

Andy