RE: [Fwd: ethnicity and pedagogy?]

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 08:51:24 PDT

Dear David-

Thanks a lot for your helpful clarification. You wrote,
> To clarify, I am talking about coercion within learning pedagogies. I'm
not
> talking about the effects of schooling broadly. That is, I'm talking about
> the effects of pedagogical strategies designed to promote learning of
> various sorts. Thus, I may not be addressing your concerns about whether
> students are coerced by general institutional norms and practices.

Here is where I see a problem. I wonder if we can consider learning IN
GENERAL outside its cultural and institutional contexts or not. On one hand,
we try to develop general concepts such as "legitimate peripheral
participation", "guided participation" and so on that aimed to apply for
general contexts. On the other hand, research in different cultural
communities such as Shirley Brice Heath or Mariette de Haan warns us against
"general" concepts and definitions. The latter creates an interesting
paradox (although well known by Ancient Greek philosophers). To study
learning we seem to need to know what it is. But the study of learning
changes what we think learning is. For that reason, I really like Mike
Cole's research narrative in his books and oral presentations that can
simplified as following: We tried to find xyz in this community but we could
not but instead of thinking that community does not have we started thinking
that our definition of xyz is ethnocentric (sorry, Mike, for caricaturing
your narrative, but would you agree with my observation?). It is difficult
for me to think about learning "in general" without thinking of specific
institutional and cultural contexts and practices.

David wrote,
> My point is simple. First, my framework seeks to pull apart the notion of
> learning into 3 discrete metaphors, learning as habituation, (conceptual)
> construction, and enculturation. Teaching toward students' enculturation
> seeks to have students gain cultural dispositions of a target culture. For
> instance, a mathematics teacher may seek to have students come to
> participate in the specialized mathematical form of argumentation known as
> proof.

I wonder whether we can understand metaphors of learning that teachers use
without considering institutional constraints in which they work. For
example, what becomes meaning of "mathematical form of argumentation known
as proof" if learning institutionally defined by passing high stake tests?
Who demands "proof" and judges when "proof" is successful? What counts as
"proof"? Many of my preservice teachers told me that it is "forbidden" to
divide by zero. I asked them who forbade that and they replied "people". In
their school contexts, math seems to be discipline of mind (in Foucault's
sense) to follow what people allow and what they forbid to do with numbers.

However, I think it will be interesting to consider historical and cultural
metaphors of learning and to do "genealogical" analysis of metaphors of and
narrative about learning (in Foucault's sense). For example, Bible's
approach to learning is very interesting and different from current
metaphors of learning. Jesus' students misunderstood and violated their
teacher's curricula. They failed all high stake assessment tests. But
nevertheless they were considered to be "model learners".

What do you think?

Eugene

<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
> du> cc: (bcc: David H
Kirshner/dkirsh/LSU)
> Subject: RE: [Fwd:
ethnicity and pedagogy?]
> 10/01/2003 02:15
> PM
> Please respond
> to ematusov
>

> Dear David and everybody-
>
> David, can you elaborate on your statement, "What I think is new in this
> analysis is the possibility of facilitating cultural transformation in a
> way
> that does not coerce identity", please? I'm not sure I understand what you
> mean by "in a way that does not coerce identity" (of students, I assume?).
> Also, what do you mean by "facilitating cultural transformation"? Can you
> give examples please so I can visualize the terms, please?
>
> I feel that what you are talking about is very important for me but I need
> more clarity. I teach future teachers and I hate (traditional?) schooling.
> Using a binary language, I teach future oppressors-oppressed and I'm their
> current oppressor*. My intentions are often (not always) good but my deeds
> are not. I'm a part of the system (but maybe not a very good citizen of it
> or it can be one of my illusions). My students and I are "thrown" into
> semester by institutional impersonal forces. We impose our "projects" on
> each other (using Heidegger's terms).
>
> Now, where is in this picture "facilitating cultural transformation"? And
> why should I be concerned with not coercing students' (and my own?)
> identities? Please help.
>
> Eugene
> * My simplistic "test" on oppression is very simple: students are not
> oppressed if they come to class and do work for the class because they
> freely choose to do that. I doubt that my classes can pass this test.

It
> [...]
is
> > (b), above. Creating a culture of resistance entails winning the
students
> > over to a new cultural identification. Even in the case of (a), creating
> > utopian microculture in the classroom doesn't seem like it provides an
> > effective means for social transformation unless the students identify
> > themselves with a utopian mission. Thus the framework of learning
> > pedagogies I'm formulating seem, potentially, to threaten or undermine
> the
> > projects of critical pedagogy. I'm going to be presenting these ideas at
> > the Bergamo curriculum theory conference this week, and am very grateful
> > you, Juanita, Mike, and others, for encouraging me to articulate these,
> > still very tentative, thoughts.
> >
> > David Kirshner

> > Acculturationist Pedagogy
> >

> > Enculturation
> >
> > All of these pedagogical methods are conceived within the dominant
> > discourse focused on individual student learning. However,
> enculturationist
> > learning techniques also turn out to be central to critical pedagogies
> that
> > aim for social transformation. Thus, following is an introduction to
this
> > learning metaphor and its associated learning pedagogies. Enculturation
> is
> > the process of acquiring cultural dispositions through enmeshment in a
> > cultural community. I interpret dispositions broadly as inclinations to
> > engage with people, problems, artifacts, or oneself in culturally
> > particular ways. Thus, for example, the NCTM's (1991) objectives that
> > students come to "explore, conjecture, reason logically; to solve
> > non-routine problems; to communicate about and through mathematics ...
> [as
> > well as] personal self-confidence and a disposition to seek, evaluate,
> and
> > use quantitative and spatial information in solving problems and in
> making
> > decisions" (p. 1) all reflect an enculturationist learning agenda.
> (Recall
> > that the cognitive dispositions like critical thinking and problem
> solving
> > are understood as culturally located in the crossdisciplinary framework,
> > and hence are addressed through enculturationist/acculturationist
> > pedagogies.)
> >
> > A paradigm example of enculturation is explored by social psychologists
> > under the rubric of proxemics (Hall, 1966; Li, 2001). Proxemics, or
> > personal space, is the tendency for members of different national
> cultures
> > to draw differing perimeters around their physical bodies for varying
> > social purposes. Thus, natives of France tend to prefer closer physical
> > proximity for conversation than do Americans (Remland, Jones, &
Brinkman,