characturing

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 09:43:15 PDT

Eugene et al-- I am tied hand and foot with other heavy deadline obligations
and it is painful not to participate in the discussion.

I would somewhat re-paraphrase your characterization of the methodology that
our group has developed over the years. Just to say that manifestation of
what appears poor performance is reflective of our ethnocentricism does not
go far enough. Of course we are ethnocentric! But one has to start somewhere
and that somehwere is not on wherever the center of the universe is. So,
take difference as a point of departure and try to recenter by seeking
out activities which bear some resemblence, according to some analysis you
are interested in, with the tasks and then try to locate your observatrionsal
methods within that framework.

That re-paraphrase is inadequate and there are a ton of huge issues in this
discussion! Gotta go
mike