Re: research - writing, printing, computing

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista (lucabaptista@sapo.pt)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 14:40:33 PDT

Hi David,

I think we mostly agree. I don't see a dichotomy between oral and written
language, but a distinction - in fact, a series of distinctions, including
the different uses of writing, speech, etc. and their combinations (for
instance, the use of written texts as mnemonic devices in a predominantly
"oral culture" such as the European Middle Ages). As regards the "innatism"
x "environmentalist" debate, I don't know of any "innatist" who defends the
idea of a "clean jump from genetics to current cognition" - the exception
being the sociobiological fundamentalists, but I don't take them seriously.

Rgrds,

Luiz Carlos Baptista
lucabaptista@sapo.pt
lucabaptista@hotmail.com