RE: [Fwd: ethnicity and pedagogy?]

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 12:15:30 PDT

Dear David and everybody-

David, can you elaborate on your statement, "What I think is new in this
analysis is the possibility of facilitating cultural transformation in a way
that does not coerce identity", please? I'm not sure I understand what you
mean by "in a way that does not coerce identity" (of students, I assume?).
Also, what do you mean by "facilitating cultural transformation"? Can you
give examples please so I can visualize the terms, please?

I feel that what you are talking about is very important for me but I need
more clarity. I teach future teachers and I hate (traditional?) schooling.
Using a binary language, I teach future oppressors-oppressed and I'm their
current oppressor*. My intentions are often (not always) good but my deeds
are not. I'm a part of the system (but maybe not a very good citizen of it
or it can be one of my illusions). My students and I are "thrown" into
semester by institutional impersonal forces. We impose our "projects" on
each other (using Heidegger's terms).

Now, where is in this picture "facilitating cultural transformation"? And
why should I be concerned with not coercing students' (and my own?)
identities? Please help.

Eugene
* My simplistic "test" on oppression is very simple: students are not
oppressed if they come to class and do work for the class because they
freely choose to do that. I doubt that my classes can pass this test.

create