Re: research - writing, printing, computing

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista (lucabaptista@sapo.pt)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 15:42:42 PDT

These are very good points. Here I follow closely the position of David R.
Olson in his book "The World on Paper": we have writing when we have scripts
with syntax. This includes, for instance, numerical and musical notations.
In this sense, if Stonehenge and the Lascaux calendars were tokens of a
syntactical system, they indeed could be called "logotechniques". But I
really don't know enough about them. The key moment here, and again I take
it from Olson, is when human beings start _reading texts_, instead of
"simply" seeing/describing images.

As regards language, however, I stick to the good old fashioned "innate
endowment" hypothesis.

Luiz Carlos Baptista
lucabaptista@sapo.pt
lucabaptista@hotmail.com