Re: Vygotsky Quote

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 06:48:00 PDT

David wrote:

> My approach steps back from this hegemonic
> dynamic to look at the underlying learning metaphor addressed by a
> particular school, and at the pedagogical guidance that flows most
> coherently from that.

David,

This sounds like a productive way of looking at these issues and now
I think understand why you appreciated the Vygotsky quote so highly.

I would be interested to hear how you would describe the "underlying
learning metaphor" addressed by the "activity school" (say, the Russians
from Leontiev on through Davydov) together with its "pedagogical
guidance." And what is its overlap with the guidance expressed by the
very clear Vygotsky quote we've been discussing?

Peter