Re: Vygotsky Quote

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 12:22:01 PDT

I don't know what I wrote that caused this conclusion, David:
In your note, you characterize psychological-constructivist pedagogy as
an instance of "transmission teaching," but I would disagree. There is no
direct communication conceived within a psychologcial-constructivist
perspective.

Since the core idea of psychological constructivism is that the child
must construct knowledge, how could it support a transmission pedagogy
which priveleges accomodation over assimilation?

I am curious about the relationship between your enculturationalist
perspective and what once was referred to as cognitive apprenticeship.

I am also curious about others view on the distinction you draw between
an enculturationist versus critical pedagogy approach. Now, off to
other chores. Thanks for the interesting discussion.
mike