Chicago labor ed and CHAT Oct 4

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 06:20:16 PDT

Hello, dear xmca people:

This is an invitation to come to Chicago October 4 from 1-4 pm, at Suite 214
The Rice Bulding, 815 West Van Buren Street, to hear a Canadian Labor
Educator (meaning someone who studies and practices teaching and learning in
the social context of work and especially union organized contexts) open a
discussion of AT-based research in a range of industries in Canda (steel,
auto, garment, chemical, public sector). Call me at 312-996-2623 if you'd
like to come. Everyone welcome. We're asking $25 to register and get lunch,
but no one will be excluded. if you just walk in.

I have been lurking rather than posting for almost a year now, due to
shifting into tenure review zone and having been warned that using AT to
structure my research is frowned upon by the Industrial Relations world
(which employs, however grudgingly, human capital theory). Nevertheless,
either something makes sense or it doesn't. (What did Gallileo say?
Nevertheless, it moves?)

My strategy at present is to invite a Canadian labor educator named Peter
Sawchuk, who uses CHAT and who has been doing great work in Canada with adult
learning in labor union/workplace contexts, to come to Chicago Oct 4 and
discuss his upcoming book, "Hidden Knowledge: Organized Labour in the
Information Age" -- coming out with Cambridge U Press (as did his previous
book, Adult Learning and Technology in Working Class Life). Both books open
with extensive, relaxed accounts of the origins and development of CHAT and
its value for interpreting and implementing workplace learning. Sawchuk
works at OISE in Toronto in the Center for the Study of Education and Work.
Hopefully, some union education people will come, some adult education people
will come, and some labor educators will come and some people from xmca who
are in the northern Illinois/Indiana will come, and we can get a conversation
going a little bit, break down some discursive barriers and puncture some
logjams.

If you know anyone to whom this message could be forwarded, please feel free
to do so. Again, my phone number is 312-996-2623 if you'd like more details
or want to let me know you're coming.

Thanks --

Helena Worthen
Assistant Professor of Labor Education, Chicago Labor Education Program
Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations
University of Illinois
hworthen@uic.edu (please use this email to connect with me on this message)