Re: Labor Day

From: David Preiss (david.preiss@yale.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 14:04:14 PDT

Regarding setting up a topic to discuss during the year, what about
discussing the interface between pedagogies and psychological theories in
some classic texts of the 20th century?

I am thinking of Vygotsky, Piaget, and Bruner. Maybe some behaviorists and
others. But I am not an expert so maybe somebody could recommend the texts
in a more informed way than me. I don't know if William Kessen published
anything that addresses directly this topic.

I would love to see how psychologists have intended to inform educational
practice, usually unsuccessfully, what are their diagnosis and intended
solutions, how different things are today from some time ago, what are the
practical and educational implications of their models of mind.

Regarding Piaget, I am thinking of "Science of Education and the Psychology
of the Child". Regarding Bruner, I am thinking of "The Relevance of
Education". Both texts were published close to 1970, which makes for an
interesting comparison. Still, Piaget's has an essay written in 1935.