Re: Labor Day

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 09:32:56 PDT

that ain't the half of it, either, Nate.
While trying to rescue the middle class (too often defined in terms of
income, so its hard to understand what it means for it to disappear) we
might think about all the working class and without-working class folks
who are going down the tubes. And we better think internationally, because
all those service jobs are going overseas as any visit to the NY Times will
explain in detail.

Because so many in XMCA are involved in education, the linkages there
easily catch my attention. The high negative correlation between incarceration
and levels of education, the fact that 1/10 teachers is a person of color.

Your note stimulates another question rattling around in my head as I
contemplate the upcoming academic year. What might be the highest priority
topics for us to be discussing with some follow through and depth?

An odd side note. While union membership is falling nationally, its growing
in California. Key issue? Health benefits.

Lots to think about and a whole day to do it.
mike