RE: improv

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 08:49:45 PDT

Dear Devil Advocate (Judy :-)) and everybody-

Judy, I think you are raising very good issues about me objectivizing my
students. I think you are right - I'm both objectivizing and finalizing my
students. However, I do not think it is bad to objectivize and finalize
unless it is all what I do. Early Bakhtin was talking about objectivizing
and finalizing others as a gift that we give others using our surplus of
vision and transgradience. Of course, the gift can easily become a poison if
it is not compensated by another gift of subjectivizing and problematizing.

Here is my "defense":

1) I'm working with the students' statements and thus accessing their
subjectivity (although not in a dialogic way);

2) I plan to share my findings with my future students for sure and
maybe even with past students (although it is difficult to track them);

3) I want to disrupt whatever findings will be in my future teaching.
Like Vygotsky, I believe that I do not fully understand a phenomenon until I
can disrupt and change it.

4) I want to use my findings for creating better dialogic
possibilities with my students.

What do you think?

Eugene (Devil Advocate on Devil Advocate :-))