Filtering XMCA Mail

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 10:53:07 PDT

For the past few days a number of addresses have been automatically
removed from the xmca mailing list, ostensibly for bouncing mail.

It turns out that the problem was a different list member (not one
of those being unsubscribed), who was filtering mail, and refusing
messages from those accounts.

Because of peculiar combination of this user's filtering setup and
the way the listserv works on our end, the refused messages have
been causing the removal of the refused recipient from the list.

I realize that is not particularly articulate, so let me make a list
of events:

* bjones@arisia.com sends a message to xmca@weber.ucsd.edu

* user@aol.com receives a copy of this message

* user@aol.com's mail client (outlook, eudora, etc.) has
  been told to refuse email from bjones@arisia.com

* the mail client returns a message saying that mail from
  bjones@arisia.com to user@aol.com is being refused.

* that message goes to weber.ucsd.edu where it is picked up by the
  mailing list software.