RE: polychronotopic dynamics

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 20:07:02 PDT

I would say that Eugene, and all of us, all the time, are nested in
shorter-term activities within longer-term ones. AND sometimes we also
shuttle among same-timescale multiple activities, all of which may be
compatible with the same behavioral setting. Synomorphy does not imply a
one-one relationship, I think. Unless we define the setting "umwelt-wise"
as the setting-as-relevant-to-this-activity, but that does not mean that
multiple such settings cannot overlay one another in the same material
space. This may be one good reason why a notion of material setting is
still useful, though we could also say that the material setting is either
(a) itself a special-activity view (the physicists view, say) or (b) the
sum or product of all the activity-settings that can or do co-occur.

In any case, I think we need to preserve both multiplicity and the
potential relationships among multiple "simultaneous" activities.

JAY.