Re: davydov/professional/personal

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 11:28:40 PDT

Eugene,

You wrote:

> In my view, Davydov's approach continues an intelligencia tradition to
> downview people of power and common people on intellectual grounds of
> manifesting poor thinking ("empirical thinking").

I think your discussion of this elitist tradition is very apt and
something that Davydov
was indeed drawing on.

But shouldn't one mention, in the same breath, that the intention of
Davydov's
approach to instruction was to make theoretical thinking available to
*all*
children? This, for me, is anti-elitist to an extreme. Is there a
contradiction here?

Peter