RE: davydov/professional/personal

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 11:19:44 PDT

Dear Mike and everybody-

I think (and I can be wrong) that Davydov would like everyday tasks and
problems but he might not like how JPF (Just Plain Folks, Jean Lave's term)
or traditional school approach to them. In my memory, Davydov valued messy
everyday problems (although I do not remember him using them in his
instruction). His critique-attack was on two fronts: educational,
scientific, and power establishment, on the one hand, and common people, on
the other hand. He did not like their ways of thinking. He would support
some of Jean Lave's critique of traditional schooling but he probably did
not like Lave's 1988 studies of shoppers or studies on Brazilian street
vendors - it would be interesting to check if it is true. Does anybody know
Davydov's reaction to these studies?

In contrast to Davydov and Vygotsky, Bakhtin valued students' personal
everyday experiences a lot as judged by the only article on education he
wrote (or at least I found so far) and his general analysis of literary work
(see also his paper on Methodology of Humanitarian Sciences).

What do you think?

Eugene