RE: davydov/professional/personal

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 09:08:46 PDT

Dear Mike and everybody-

Yes, I think Mike you are right about Davydov's "two culture". However I
think the boundary between them where not about everyday
thinking/activities. Davydov contrasted "empirical thinking" (which is bad
in his judgment) with "theoretical thinking" (which is good). However, both
types of thinking are not domain specific: according to Davydov, you can
find evidence of theoretical thinking in everyday life/activities and
empirical thinking in scientific practice. I remember attending Davydov's
lectures at Moscow University in the late 70s -beginning 80s, when he
criticized Vygotsky for not dialectical and not critical acceptance of
scientific thinking as superior to everyday thinking. Davydov provided many
examples on his lectures of how scientific thinking is often "empirical"
while everyday thinking is "theoretical". For the latter, he used some
examples of wise people ("mudrezy") or practical sages (no connotation to
mafia, although :-).

On the other hand, Davydov's notion of "theoretical thinking" definitely
privileges and elevates intelligencia. As you may know, Russian term
"intelligencia" coined by Dostoevsky is not the same as American
"intellectual" or "educated". I think Holquist in his book "Dialogism:
Bakhtin and his world" gave an excellent definition of intelligencia. I do
not have the book at home but he defines intelligencia along the following
lines as people who are specialized on making sense of the world. In my
view, there is certain elitism in this notion that can be traced back to
Russian slavery ended only in 1861. It seems to me that it was an attempt of
marginalized underground people ("raznochintzy") nicely described by
Dostoevsky to develop a new class and new ideology of aristocracy of (and
by) mind (rather than by blood) to separate themselves from (former) peasant
slaves and old aristocracy.

In my view, Davydov's approach continues an intelligencia tradition to
downview people of power and common people on intellectual grounds of
manifesting poor thinking ("empirical thinking").

What do you think?

Eugene

Historically, under

http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/cultures/Teaching.htm