Re: linking LSV to Stan

From: Ricardo Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 20:43:45 PDT

"But, in my oppinion, LVS's ideas in that article can only be better understood linking it to his theory of aesthetical reaction - the specificity of aesthetical reactions that makes them different from everyday ones. And that "law" of artistics "creation-reception" is only available in his Psychology of Art." RJapiassu

"Ricardo, I wonder if LVS used the word "response or "reaction". Reaction sounds too Pavlovian for me (although LVS argued with Pavlovian approach in those times)" EMatusov

I don't know. I'm not an expert on russian but "PEAKUHH" sounds "reaction" to me. I do not have cyrillics characters in my pc so the "U" is that "U," and the "H" is that "N" as seen in a mirror... :))

But... I was reading Guillermo Blanck's last commented translation of LVS's *Educational Psychology* (Pedagogic Psychoogy) to Spanish (recently published in Portuguese by Artes Médicas). And he explains that Vygotsky in the begining of his academic life was much closer to Kornilov (father of reactology) than Pavlov or Bejterev's reflexology. Korlinov had in fact invited him to work in his laboratory at University of Moscow, in 1924, after his famous speach at Pan-Russian congress. Blanck says Vygotsky criticised Pavlov and Bejterev's reflexology and that time lined himself aside Kornilov - although only one year after he criticised Kornilov's reactology.

In EP (reaction and reflex) he says that "the concept of reaction help us to incorporate human behaviour to the long serie of biologic movements of adaptation of all organisms, from the inferior ones to the superiors one (...) Because of that we will use the word 'reaction' to name the basic forms of human behaviour" (Vygotsky, 2003, p. 49).

But I guess I understand what are you trying to say when you suggest "response" in the place of "reaction". The word "response" let us free to not be constrained to link "reaction" to Kornilov's reactology and to Pavlov-Bejterev's reflexology.

Anyway, my understanding is that Vygotsky used the word "reaction" having too much clear in his mind that although reaction could fit biological dimension of behaviour and reflex only touched the physiological dimension of it, human typical psychsism was something that goes beyond the physiological and biological dimension of behaviour: something of a cultural-historical order or nature.

Ricardo Japiassu
Universidade do Estado da Bahia em Teixeira de Freitas - Uneb X
Rua SS, s/n - Jd. Caraípe
Tx. de Freitas - Bahia
45 995 000 BRASIL
http://www.ricardojapiassu.pro.br