identities X social roles

From: Ricardo Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 06:57:42 PDT

I have been reading the posts on KLeander's article and all them put some light over questions raised by xmca fellows on it.

But I'd like, if you let me do so, to raise a question on the (con)textualized use of the word "identity" by KLeander:

"The students' and teacher's reciprocal appropriation as they use the saw indexes how their work destabilizes fixed student-teacher identities. Student and teacher identities are renegotiated in relation to tools and tasks that are unfamiliar to them and held separate from their experiences within the social spaces of everyday schooling." (Bold mine) (KLeader's article, p. 224)

In my understanding any identity is necessarily not fixed.Because it is something definitely embeded in a permanent process of sociohistorical and cultural (co)construction.

So (in my personal oppinion - and reading) Leander seams refer, in the fragment transcripted above, to the social roles of "teacher" and "student" - that are somehow "static" or "fixed" into schooling sets of educational activity and pedagogical practices.

My question is:

(1) Is identity a word always used in american chat approaches to educational activity to refer social roles? Can't identity be understood in English as something other - something that articulates personal features and idiossincratic ways of being aside eventual social roles taken by a one?

Ricardo Japiassu
Universidade do Estado da Bahia em Teixeira de Freitas - Uneb X
Rua SS, s/n - Jd. Caraípe
Tx. de Freitas - Bahia
45 995 000 BRASIL
http://www.ricardojapiassu.pro.br