Re: space/time

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 15:29:09 PDT

A lot of people have asked for the Lefebvre paper, Kevin, so I think
I'll send it to the whole list. I stumbled into criticial geography
literature by the good luck of having a son who is a graduate student
at UCLA and the Copenhagen Business School with a masters from Berkeley,
and who had the bad luck of finding his father's name coming up in papers
he liked in HIS area of research. I'll suggest that he check out your
paper and see what other papers he would suggest. Your refs contain a
number of good starting points.

In my own research on the sustainability of successful educational
innovations I have been led naturally into the study of what others
refer to as organizational learning and I am especially interested in the
issue of transaction costs of collaboration in distributed networks which
seems to be massively under theorized. I think the issue has a natural
place in CHAT research of the sort you are pursuing.

In fact, one question I had was why the cabin didn't get finished and what
the later history was of the kids who were educationally marginal but were
valued participants in the cabin building.
mike

PS-- And of course you should be participating in the discussion! I am
sorry that Kirstin didn't choose to enter the discusion of her work. A major
motive of mine for discussing MCA articles on line is that the turn around
time for scholarly publications is on the order of years which is a rotten
way to accumulate knowledge or to affect the world we pretend we are
intervening in. At least we can cut down the time to a year or so and
spread the learning opportunities around.

Now, let me see if I can get my antiquated system to send a file in the