RE: request for some clarification

From: Sophie Alcock (Sophie.Alcock@vuw.ac.nz)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 23:10:14 PDT

The question of agent versus subject of or in activity does raise interesting other questions. The term, subject, does have some unfortunate historical baggage, associated with the idea of "subjects" being experimented on and "participants" sometimes sounds like a trite alternative. In looking for the Boesch article, I did see one by Ratner called "Agency and Culture" in the XMCA paper archives. It may be useful, seems to reinforce the individualistic conception of agency though. The Boesch one is fascinating; music being a refreshing change from words; the subject-participant and object violin one in sound. One can't attribute agency to the violin, I think, but...
Sophie