[Fwd: Call for papers on sexual orientation discrimination]

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 02:36:31 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Call for papers on sexual orientation discrimination
From: "Robert J. Hill" <rjhill@coe.uga.edu>
Date: Wed, July 2, 2003 10:40 pm
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>

In many countries, concern about discrimination based on sexual
orientation continues to fuel collective action, policy debates, and
even academic scrutiny. For instance, sociologists have studied sexual
orientation discrimination in institutions, and psychologists have
explored prejudice against lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) people.
Recently economists have begun to look at the experiences of lesbians,
gay men and bisexuals in the labour market. Other scholars have studied
discrimination in housing, credit, and retail markets. Newly available
data (in the U.S. and elsewhere), the evolution of social attitudes, and
the introduction of legal reforms in various countries all suggest the
need for an innovative and up-to-date analysis of sexual orientation
discrimination.

We are seeking empirical and theoretical papers for an edited volume
that will address issues of discrimination related to sexual
orientation. In addition to economics, we seek papers from a range of
social science disciplines including sociology, demography, political
science, geography, legal studies, and psychology. We are particularly
interested in papers coming from a number of countries to show the
differing international experience. A number of questions arise that
would be suitable topics for papers for the volume, including but not
limited to:

> 1. Do LGB individuals earn less than comparable heterosexuals?
> 2. Are they promoted less?
> 3. Do they suffer greater unemployment and find it harder to get jobs?
> 4. Are there gendered differences in the experiences of lesbians and
> gay
men? Are bisexuals' experiences different?
> 5. What determines whether LGB individuals Become out?? and what are
> the
economic implications?
> 6. Are LGB individuals harassed in the workplace and, if so, how
> effective
are grievance procedures?
> 7. Are there cohort effects with improvement in experiences over time?
> 8. Do LGB individuals get treated differently depending upon whether
> they
are "straight-acting"?
> 9. How do different laws, across states and countries, affect the
> experience of LGB individuals?
> 10. More generally, does location matter for LGB individuals ?? what
determines the pattern of discrimination? Does religion, for example,
impact on discrimination?
> 11. Is there discrimination in housing, credit and retail markets? 12.
> How do immigration laws affect LGB individuals?
> 13. How does religion and ethnicity interact with sexual orientation
> in
discrimination?

> Please send via e-mail 300-500 word abstracts of proposed papers that
outline the main questions to be addressed, theoretical perspectives,
proposed methodology, and data sources by 1 September to:

Professor Lee Badgett, Department of Economics, University of
Massachusetts (Amherst) (lbadgett@econs.umass.edu)

University of London (j.frank@rhul.ac.uk)

> Final papers will be required by 1 August 2004. It is likely that
presentations of papers will occur at either an existing conference or a
specially-organized conference to be held in the Summer 2004.