Re: Vygotsky and context

From: anna popova (anjutapopova@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 05:30:20 PDT

I think I joined the dicussion a bot too late. Got a
lot of email today and was reading them with interest,
waiting for someone to mention culture. Thank you,
Mike.
Understanding of what context ever meant for Vygotsky
is important, in my opinion. Can we talk about one
context? Didn't he imply that culture has the power of
linking the contexts together? "A" context cannot
exist in Vygotskian world. There is a temporal and
spacial trajectory of contexts within the culture. Do
they remain contexts or shall we call them something
else? We can still use the term context if we decide
to examine contexts in comparison to each other.
During the process of comparison the "trajectory" my
fall into a number of contexts (but whose standards
are we using for comparison?).
I am not sure if I have made myself a little bit clear
but this is what my PhD "writing-up" mind is up to at
the moment.
Anna Popova

=====