Re: Foot article discussion - summary through Saturday

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 05:44:15 PDT

Thanks for the clear summary Steve. I'd like to respond briefly to this and
to the header of Bill's post of a few days ago, Why does Smagorinsk[y] not
use Object.
I actually haven't read Foot's paper yet--am catching up on writing during
this precious time during the summer. Steve's summary includes attention to
the term "object" in activity theory analyses. I tend not to use that term
in my own work; perhaps the ambiguity over the term as Steve describes is
part of the reason. I do use the term "motive" which I take from Leont'ev
largely by way of Wertsch, which I think corresponds to object as defined
in this discussion. A brief quote from Wertsch on the construct of motive:
Wertsch (1985) maintains that "the motive that is involved in a particular
activity setting specifies what is to be maximized in that setting. By
maximizing one goal, one set of behaviors, and the like over others, the
motive also determines what will be given up if need be in order to
accomplish something else" (p. 212).
I've described this further as follows:
Every setting is likely to include subsettings or idiocultures in which
local practices are developed that may depart from the practices of the
larger culture. Thus, within an overall school setting there is likely to
be an overriding motive developed that embodies the community's values and
social practices; and within this whole culture there might develop
idiocultures where this motive can be renegotiated or resisted by subgroups
including peer groups, particular classrooms, small groups within
classrooms, or other configurations of people. The motive of any setting
or subsetting is always provisional, providing space for resistance and
alternative, competing motives. While settings provide overriding motives
and channel human action, they do not determine the ways in which people
act. Individuals have heterogeneous ways of thinking (Tulviste, 1991) and
thus may construct meanings for the setting that suggest other
motives. Settings therefore have predominant motives that may be altered
or subverted by the goals of individuals who act within them.

Is this the same as what people refer to as object? Peter