Gegenstand X objekt

From: Ricardo Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 08:32:45 PDT

I'd like to understand better the difference between "gegenstand" and "objekt" in german language/philosofical thinking.
So, I'd be very pleased if someone fluent in german in this list could help me.

Foot refers to Engeström and Esclante brief explanation of the issue (Foot's article 134 p):

"In classical German philosophy, the object's embeddedness-in-activity was captured by the concept of
Gegenstand, as distinct from the notion of mere Objekt.Objects do not exist for us in themselves, directly
and without mediation.We relate to objects by means of other objects.This means that objects
appear in two fundamentally different roles: as objects (Gegenstand) and as mediating artifacts or
tools. There is nothing in the material makeup of an object as such that would determine which one it is:
object or tool. The constellation of the activity determines the place and meaning of the object.
(Engeström & Escalante, 1996, pp. 361-362)"

(1)
What would be the nearest english expression to "gegenstand"? (symbolic object? cultural object?) Wouldn't this notion cover the idea that "objects do not exist for us in themselves, directly and without mediation"?

(2)
So "objekt" therefore means the material/concrete (reificated) dimension of a "gegenstand", righ?

(3)
As Engeström and Escalante explain, object appears taking 2 roles:

   (1) (symbolic/cultural artifact) or "gegenstand"
   and
   (2) as mediating artifacts or tools ("objekt"?!)

The question is:

Isn't any tool or mediating artifact something that "do not exist for us in themselves"? For example, a clock only means a clock when its sociocultural use is perceived and understood by a one. Ok, a clock does is a tool. But it will be perceived and understood as a tool only by people embedded in a time-mesured culture based on hours, minutes, seconds. I really would like to understand better that difference between "gegenstand" and "objekt" pointed by Kirsten invoking Engeström&Escalante.

Can you all understand my doubt? Can you help me?

Ricardo Japiassu
Universidade do Estado da Bahia em Teixeira de Freitas - Uneb X
Rua SS, s/n - Jd. Caraípe
Tx. de Freitas - Bahia
45 995 000 BRASIL
http://www.ricardojapiassu.pro.br