RE: umwelt and context

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 19:46:00 PDT

Don-- I am not being arbitrarily argumentative. I am quite concerned that
in the discourse surrounding LSV there is a LOT of confusion. I have thought
so for some time, but have a particular interest in trying to get a handle
on the range of positions at present.

Yes, there is a huge affordance for using context as container. And, if you
have read cultural psychology (e.g. my version) you know know that under some
(bracketed/circumsribed) conditions, it is useful. But it has a lot of
pernicious affordances.

Re humpty dumpty. I am on record, in print, of saying that we should keep
that egg head from getting on the wall in the wall in the first place.

does la di da, so it goes mean that we should put serious attempts at
co-understanding on hold for the time being? If so, for how long?

does it matter? I think so. But I am a voice of one. I fear greatly
what is happening in my country of birth, not least in the area of
human development and education. I am seeking ways "forward." Your
help would be greatly appreciated.
mike