AERA 2003 report

From: Judith Vera Diamondstone (JDiamondstone@Clarku.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 09:23:35 PDT

Thanks, Jay -- and Bill -- for updating xmca-ers on the recent AERA
meetings. This message is meant to fill in a couple blanks and invite others
to fill in more.

First, we had what seemed to be a fabulous program. I had a number of
conflicts and couldn't attend all the CH-SIG sponsored sessions, so I hope
that others who did attend will report on particular sessions.

The business meeting with our invited speaker, Dorothy Holland, and
follow-up panel, was jammed. We collected several pages of names and emails.
Pilar Lacasa, our SIG co-president, volunteered to type them up. As soon as
she sends them to Eugene and me, the SIG list will grow considerably --
hopefully within the next day or so.

We did very little business at the business meeting, since we were missing
two officers, and we also wanted to leave time for discussion of the
presentations. We (current officers) will send the business report by email,
as soon as the list is updated.

One benefit of the overhaul of the AERA website and the use of NOAH for
online administation is a convenient online form for joining the SIG, which
should be available in the next month or so. As soon as it is, I can email
invitations to (re)join the SIG to everyone on the list.

In the meantime, I hope someone will report on the panel co-sponsored by the
Narrative SIG, the Bakhtin panel, and the International panel co-sponsored
with Division G (which was great; I attended but hope someone else will
report).

Judy