Conference announcement

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 04:10:34 PDT

I appreciate that many on this list are already embroiled in the AERA
conference; however given the relationships that some have found or formed
between CHAT and SFL theory, I thought it might be worthwhile to post this
here.

Phil

FIRST LATIN-AMERICAN REGIONAL
SYSTEMIC FUNCTIONAL LINGUISTICS CONFERENCE
"SYSTEMIC FUNCTIONAL LINGUISTICS
IN LANGUAGE EDUCATION"
April 8th and 9th, 2004
English Department
Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
Universidad Nacional de Cuyo
Mendoza, ARGENTINA
Email: sflmendoza04@logos.uncu.edu.ar
FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS
"Language is a political institution: those who are wise in its ways,
capable of using it to shape and serve important personal and social
goals, will be the ones who are 'empowered': able, that is, not merely
to participate effectively in the world, but able also to act upon it,
in the sense that they can strive for significant social change."
(Frances Christie, 1989)
The organizing committee is pleased to invite to this first regional
event. This meeting has been organized as a response to the growing
interest in SFL studies and as an attempt to encourage regional
communication and cooperation among teachers and researchers working
with the SF model in Latin-America. The site of the meeting will be
Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, Mendoza,
Argentina. We invite you to visit our website in case you want to know
more about us (http://ffyl.uncu.edu.ar <http://ffyl.uncu.edu.ar/>).
Subject areas:
SFL and the Teaching of Grammar
SFL and the Teaching of Phonology
SFL in Foreign Language Teaching
SFL in Native Language Teaching
SFL and Academic Writing
SFL and Science Teaching
SFL and Genre Theory
SFL and Discourse Analysis
SFL and Literacy
SFL in Translation
Abstract submission deadline: September 30th, 2003
Abstracts must include:
- author(s)’ full name
- e-mail address(es)
- university/institution and affiliation
- area of study
- title of paper
The abstract should be on an A4 page in Arial 10p.type, with a 250
word maximum. It may be submitted by e-mail or regular mail (or both
for safety reasons). If by surface mail, please send a copy in
diskette and a printed one. If by e-mail, attach the abstract as rtf.
All abstracts will be reviewed by more than two people and will be
published online in the Conference webpage in due time. Some of the
papers might be selected for publication in Nueva Revista de Lenguas
Extranjeras, FFyL, UNCuyo.
Presentations will consist of a twenty-minute talk, plus 5 minutes for
questions and discussion. They should focus on experiences, new
approaches, methods and perspectives based on the application of
Systemic Functional Theory to Language Education.
The official languages will be Spanish, Portuguese and English.
We are pleased to announce that so far Prof. Leila Barbara (Sao Paulo,
Brazil), Prof. Peter Fries (University of Michigan, USA) and
Prof. Geoff Thompsom (University of Liverpool, UK) have promised to
participate in the Conference as plenary speakers. Steps have been
taken to organize a course, to be held prior to or following the
Conference, with one of the plenary speakers invited. We will keep you
informed of developments in future communications.
All other information including accommodation and registration will be
sent in a further call for participation and posted on the conference
website, which is, at present, under construction.
Please, contact the Organizing Committee Members for information at
sflmendoza04@logos.uncu.edu.ar
Samiah Hassan, Cristina Boccia, Ana Hansen, Laura Hlavacka, Liliana Poj

For information about Mendoza, try the following sites:
http://www.mendoza.com.ar
http://www.mendoza.gov.ar
http://www.potrerillos.com.ar
http://www.culturamendoza.gov.ar