Re: Thinking in a foreign language

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 03:48:32 PDT

At 13:29 19/4/03 -0700, Mike wrote:
>throw away the textbook and find as many skilled speakers including
>little kids that you can. Mediating oral language through written
>language is really odd.
>mike

Mike, I'd love to agree here, but there are obvious difficulties to this
approach in foreign language learning contexts. Probably the greatest
constraints are "skilled speakers" are often unskilled language instructors
(perhaps one of the biggest complaints of EFL learners in my part of the
world), and there just aren't that many FL kids running around places like
Thailand, Vietnam, Italy and other EFL contexts ;-)

Phil