RE: Thinking in a foreign language

From: Angel Lin (enangel@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 21:36:57 PDT

Dear Ana, Vera, Huong and Mike,

It is a very interesting topic. As a trilingual (Cantonese, Mandarin Chinese
and English), I often see myself having inner speech which cannot be
characterized as L1, L2 or L3 in a clearcut way, but perhaps can be said to be
frequent alternations among them, or put in another way, I see myself drawing
on all the linguistic and cultural resources that I have, including Japanese
and Korean linguistic and cultural resources (although I don't have full
mastery of the latter 2) depending on the topic, task or activity I'm engaged
in. I suppose our thinking (and inner speech) is much more
bilingual/multilingual than our public speech, which is in turn much more
bilingual/multilingual than our informal writing, which again is much more
bi/multilingual than our formal writing. I'd say the the langauge and
cultural boundaries are politically and socially determined (or imposed)
whereas our mind is relatively more "free" to cross boundaries (lingusitc and
sociocultural ones). I think the linguistic and cultural boundaries reflect
our political structures, whereas our mind sees (or aspires to) fewer such
boundaries althouh very often we also internalize those boundaries. That
might explain why when we speak (and write) in formal, public situations, we
feel more compelled NOT to code-mix and code-switch (and the same goes for
formal writing, eg, academic journal writing).

I suppose this can be seen as much more than a langauge learning issue (i.e.,
the "techicalized" topics in SLA or FLA research literatures), but involves
how we see (and construct) ourselves and "Others" (e.g., our
languages/cultures/ways of being in this world and "Others"'s
languages/cultures/ways of being in this world). We tend to construct a
"Self" and "Other(s)" (and hence the boundaries of L1, L2... and C1 and C2...)
and we might easily fall into the trap of linguistic and cultural
essentialism. My guess (and theory) is there's much bore boundary-crossing
and hybridzing, non-clearcut resources which cannot easily be characterized as
L1, L2... or C1, C2.... However, our academic disciplines (eg.,second and
foreign language learning/acquisition) operate on these boundaries (or
boundary constructions), and so do our social and political structures.

However, the learning issue is a very important one, and not only a cognitive
one (as is constructed in the SLA literature and discipline). It is very much
a sociocultural one and political one. It involves inclusion and exclusion,
access to symbolic capital (and the lack of it), memberships to certain groups
(and their activities) and exclusion from certain groups (ref. Jean Lave's
theories) and it involves the human sociocultural acts of drawing boundaries
and constructiong "Self" and "Others". Foreign language learning as cultural
politics in an intercultural world (a book in 2002 by Multilingual Matters) is
becoming more and more recognized as an important topic than SLA (second
language acquisition). I think the existing or traditional foreign/second
langauge acquisition literature tends to depoliticalize and "technicalize" the
very sociopolitical act of multi-langauge/lingual (and multicultural)
learning. Here, I think postcolonial studies and globalization studies will
be as useful resources as language learning theories.

Angel

--
>You meant a praise, and I took it as... something else. But thanks for
>clarifying...</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT id=IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2
>IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG="yes"></FONT> </DIV>
><DIV><FONT id=IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2
>IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG="yes">Ana</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT id=IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2
>IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG="yes"></FONT> </DIV>
><DIV><FONT id=IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2
>IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG="yes">-------------------------------------------</FONT></D
IV>
><DIV><STRONG>Ana Marjanovic-Shane</STRONG></DIV>
><DIV><STRONG>1-267-334-2905(m)</STRONG></DIV>
><DIV><STRONG>1-215-843-2909(h)</STRONG></DIV><SPAN
>id=IncrediOriginalMessage></SPAN>
><DIV> </DIV>
><BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
>  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT
id=IMOL_MON_FONT_TAG
>  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Vera
>  John-Steiner [mailto:vygotsky@unm.edu]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, April 20,
2003
>  7:44 PM<BR><B>To:</B> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: Thinking
in a
>  foreign language<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
>  <DIV>Dear Huong, Ana and Mike</DIV>
>  <DIV>My point was that we don't really "think" in a foreign language; we
use
>  L1 or L2 subvocally, at times, which we equate with thinking in that
>  language.We think in condensed meanings which we expand into fully formed
>  utterances in a particular situation. As Ana's example about sneezing
>  illustrated-she is aware that one is supposed to say something after a
>  person sneezes. What she actually says is a realized meaning in a
particular
>  situation. Language and thought are not identical, it is</DIV>
>  <DIV>communicative intent and meanings that  are realized in words. Once
>  a semantic system is expanded with new shades of meaning as a result  of
>  learning a new language, that system becomes more complex nuanced, etc.
But, I
>  believe  that in fluent speakers of two or more languages the meaning
>  system is unified while the production system is what is more and more
>  differentiated. </DIV>
>  <DIV>These  thoughts may not communicate well  I will have to get
>  off the conversation for a while because of AERA.</DIV>
>  <DIV>Thanks for raising the topic, Vera </DIV>
>  <BLOCKQUOTE
>  style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
>    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
>    <DIV
>    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color:
black"><B>From:</B>
href="mailto:anamshane@speakeasy.net">Ana

href="mailto:mcole@weber.ucsd.edu">mailto:mcole@weber.ucsd.edu</A>]<BR>Sent:
>    Saturday, April 19, 2003 6:21 PM<BR>To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu<BR>Subject:
Re:
>    Thinking in a foreign language<BR><BR><BR>Huong-- Seems like an empirical
>    question about how to arrange for<BR>L2 learning in an optimal way. You
>    think that reading will engender<BR>more and different kinds of talk and
>    have a positive effect? Could<BR>be, depending upon lots of factors. My
>    guess is that reading textbooks<BR>about a language as less efficacious
than
>    being immersed in face to<BR>face, goal-oriented, joint activty were the
>    oral mode is dominant.<BR><BR>Perhaps I am wrong.<BR><BR>Lets see if
others
>    have any opinion on the
>issue.<BR>mike<BR><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></BODY></HTML>
>
>--Boundary_(ID_SXlbupzmlInThre2mrsXWQ)--

Angel Lin, Ph.D.(Toronto) Associate Professor Department of English and Communication City University of Hong Kong Tat Chee Ave., Kowloon, Hong Kong Fax: (852) 2788-8894 Phone: (852) 2788-8122 E-mail: enangel@cityu.edu.hk http://www.cityu.edu.hk/en/staff/angel/angel_p.html http://www.tesl-hk.org