Thinking in a foreign language

From: Huong Le (lehuon@student.vuw.ac.nz)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 22:29:50 PDT

Leontiev (1981) advocates an approach to teach a foreign language by
'thinking in a foreign language'. As speech is a creative
intellectual activity, included in the over-all system of man's
mental and other activities, and it is the completion of a cognitive
task, he suggests "The more multifacted the mental activity attained
by the learner with the help of a foreign language, the more fluent
and adequate will be the process of communication in that language
(p. 109). I am fascinated by his idea but I find it hard to think of
a 'multifacted mental activity'. Does this mean that the activity
requires more cognitive processes? Then what are they? Could anyone
help me with this please? Thank you.
Would you think that there are some other ways to help learners to
think in a foreign language?
Huong

Visit the student portal who-is-at http://www.studentvuw.vuw.ac.nz