Re: State Regulation vs Academic Freedom

From: Gordon Wells (gwells@cats.ucsc.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 17:25:44 PDT

David,

Something of the same kind is happening in California. Our
Department at UCSC is currently grappling with the problem of how to
meet the State teacher credentialing requirements while maintaining
the values we think are essential in teacher preparation. At the
moment, we are not entirely dissatisfied as there are good features
in the requirements and we are working with other universities in the
state to create a form of new-teacher evaluation that is based on
classroom performance jn relation to principles of learning and
teaching constructed through coursework, practicum and reflective
discussion during the student teachers' program that is a better
alternative than the context-free tests that the state initially
proposed.

You can find out more about the state standards and curriculum, if
you're interested, at: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/SB2042/SB2042_info.html

Gordon

--
Gordon Wells