Re: CHAT and Evaluation

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 04:27:52 PDT

Hi Bob,

I've been thinking about the creation of our course assessment form (in the
US, assessment is distinguished from evaluation) as a boundary object, and
here it borders on academic and administrative systems of activity. There
are more than two. Its creation is leading systemic change in the university
practices of evaluation, thru a new instrument (artifact), rules surrounding
its use, and even its influence on other instruments, such as changes in the
technological infrastructure to make it available on-line, while meeting
policy concerning its use. While not a truely expansive learning of the
institution, because for many of the collective subject the change will be by
rote application, there is indeed significant change. I'm not confused about
the Evaluation and CHAT at all.

bb