Re: CHAT and Evaluation

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 18:53:53 PDT

I find this is a very interesting discussion, as I have been on a faculty
sub-committee to develop an assessment instrument (course assessment) for
higher ed classes. The provost's office has the need to evaluate faculty,
faculty have the need to evaluate courses, and another administration has the
need to evaluate teaching site information. Students need to tell someone
their story. It's quite problematic in that these strands of information
must be pulled out, but the student experiences all integrally as a "class".
Furthermore, across all our courses, the time format (weekend, 1x/week
semester based, 3x/week semester based, online, etc) also varies
significantly. And both administration and faculty must be convinced of the
instrument's utility to adopt it. But this particular experience is not
quite ready for prime time, and also I am fully crazed until at least after
aera. I hope we can revive the discussion then.

bb