RE: L1 helping L2

From: Angel Lin (enangel@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 00:29:36 PST

Here's another article which might be of relevance to the topic, in which I
analysed 4 EFL classrooms, and compare the different ways in which L1 / L2 is
used to do L2 teaching and their different consequences.

Lin, Angel M. Y. (1999). Doing-English-lessons in the reproduction or
transformation of social worlds? TESOL Quarterly, 33(3), pp. 393-412.

Best,
Angel

>===== Original Message From Phil Chappell <phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th>
=====
>This sounds like a really interesting case study, Karin. This morning I
>came across a journal article that might shed some more light on your
>problem. Platt, E and Brooks, F.B. (2002), Task Engagement: A Turning Point
>in Foreign Language Development, Language Learning, 52:2 pp 365-400. Among
>other things, the way that the students constructed the communicative
>strategies required to gain control of the problem-solving task, mediating
>by means of gesture, L1 and other known languages as well as the L2 are
>discussed. They argue that higher mental processes have been activated as
>the students gradually become engaged in the task, particularly volitional
>(effort) and selective attention.
>
>If you can't get hold of it, I can zip you a copy (sshh!)
>
>Phil

Angel Lin, Ph.D.(Toronto)
Associate Professor
Department of English and Communication