Re: L1 helping L2

From: mkdtostes (mktostes@uol.com.br)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 08:22:58 PST

Thanks a lot Kevin, you put in better words something I've tried to
elaborate.
>"(...) certain situated knowledge often continue to be associated with the
language in which that situated knowledge was
acquired/experienced and can be culturally specific."

In that line of thought I guess I could even include some words she uses in
German (even though we do not speak German, there are some words that are
used in the family due to my parents influence). Those words are associated
with "relevant experiences" as you say. Besides that, I guess they have a
deep affective (???) component. Some of these words are used in our L1
exchanges, so I guess we could say that for my student they are part of her
L1 knowledge. Even though she knows, for example, the words grandmother and
grandfather in the L2 and L1, she uses Oma and Opa to refer to my parents.
But my husband's mother is 'vovó' and in English classes, grandmother.
We do not say "Boa Noite" (good night) before going to sleep, but "Schlaff
Schöen" (sp ??). In one of the classes, she mentioned she says "Schlaff
Schöen" to the dogs before going to bed and then "corrected" to 'sleep
well'. So, I think some words are deeply connected to our emotional
experiences and we probably think they can better express certain meanings;
they carry emotional content (???).

T - Uh / OK / That takes about half an hour?
D - Uh huh / eh / say 'schlaff schöen' or eh // sleep well
T - Sleep tight.
D - Yeah / sleep tight / for the dogs.

Karin